What is A11yPub?
A11yPub is a symposium focused on raising awareness and building capacity about the benefits, requirements, strategies and solutions surrounding inclusive digital books (ePUB, iBooks, audiobooks and book apps).
Date: 23rd July 2018
Who should attend A11yPub?
A11yPub will be invaluable for:
- Creators: Authors, publishers, media groups, app developers,
- Purchasers: End users, librarians in schools, local government, higher education or private organisations.
- Advisors: Disability peak bodies, government agencies, senior education staff and leaders.
Why is this important?
As the Australian Human Rights Commission highlights, equal access to information and online services is a:
- right under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- requirement by law under Australia’s Disability Discrimination Act and Disability Standards for Education.
It is also a:
- procurement standard under Australian Standard AS EN 301 549:2016 Accessibility requirements suitable for public procurement of ICT products and services
- professional standard for educators under the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
Do you know
- All levels of government must purchase content that is published to international accessibility standards. This includes state, public and school libraries. (Essentially #noa11ynobuy)
- What is the international standard to measure the accessibility of digital books?
- How simple it is to create digital books that meet those standards?
- What clear and simple accessibility evidence to ask for from publishers and resellers when purchasing a digital book?